Attention, all you future Broadway stars. Signature Theatre is ready to discover you. The Tony Award-winning company in Arlington, VA, has just announced that audition slots are now open to find the best non-professional singers in its popular Signature Idol Competition. Audition videos must be submitted by July 11th. The Competition takes place on July 23rd, at 3:45 pm, in the MAX Theatre during Signature’s annual Target Open House.
Signature staff members will view each audition video and choose the ten finalists (see the rules, below). A celebrity panel will judge the finalists’ performances at the Competition and select the winner, who will then perform in the ‘Broadway on the Plaza’ Finale Concert at the Open House. Last year’s winner was Gabriel Lopez who went on to be cast in Signature’s “Page to Stage” presentation of The Greenwood Tree at the Kennedy Center.
Eric Schaeffer, Signature’s Artistic Director stated, “After the great success we had with last year’s Signature Idol, and all the fun that we had, there was no way we were not bringing this competition back. It provides a wonderful platform for undiscovered talent in a very safe environment.”
Deadline to submit your audition video is July 11th, and Signature states they “encourage everyone who likes to show off their golden pipes in the car, at a party, or in the shower to apply.”
‘SIGNATURE IDOL’ RULES AND GUIDELINES
- The deadline for video submissions is midnight on Saturday, July 11th.
- Applicants can select any musical theater song; audition performances may be a cappella or with accompaniment. A pianist will be available to accompany finalists.
- Those interested can either upload a video to YouTube and send Signature the link at [email protected] or submit a DVD/videotape to Signature Theatre, Attn: Signature Idol, 4200 Campbell Avenue, Arlington, Virginia, 22206.
- You may not apply if you performed at last year’s inaugural ‘Signature Idol’ competition.
- No one who has been paid to perform on the Signature stage may audition.
- Finalists must be available to attend a rehearsal and the Open House on July 23rd
- Finalists will be notified by email.